Linpus on an Acer Aspire One netbook, does not ship with an SSH client. To be fair its not probably needed by the average user. When I use my wifes AA1 to check my linux mail servers (postfix). I found that I could not SSH so had to install it using the below guide.
- Press Alt/F2 to bring up the terminal command window, tick the run in terminal checkbox and click ok.
- At the prompt type “sudo yum install openssh-clients” and press enter, this will download and install the SSH client for you, just follow the prompts.
- Once it has been installed, simply type in the terminal “ssh your.host.com -l username” to connect to the remote server. Changing your.host.com for the real name or IP address.
- The “-l username” tells the remote ssh server what username you are trying to connect with, so replace username with the correct username.
- If you need to SSH to a server not listening on the standard port 22 you can connect using SSH using the following command
“ssh your.host.com -p 7022 -l username”
- The “-p 7022” tels the ssh client which port to use, in this example its tcp port 7022.
This post was written with the Acer Aspire One (Linpus) in mind, but the commands should work for most Linux based systems